Sunday 2 September 2012

Giggle and Hoot Birthday Cake - Part 1

It was my little niece's first birthday!  And as her favorite (and the only) aunt, who had lived away from Australia during most of her first year, I was determined to be there and to make her her first birthday cake.  

2mths ahead of the big day my sister has decided we'll make her a "Hoot" cake, as Giggle and Hoot has been one of little Janony's favourite TV program.  So off I go for lots of experimentation, and investigation. 


I have never made a cake with decoration with more than icing and sprinkle on top, so decoration with fondant was an absolute challenge.  


Here's a photo of my first, self taught "Hoot cake" exercise:


Pretty neat huh?! The little experiment give me an insight on how fondant behave and the importance of the coloring required.  Somehow, I think mixing the liquid, off the shelf colour from the supermarket, although is OK, is just not quite perfect.


But at least I know we have now a worst case scenario baseline... not too shabby a fall back.  So off we went - Birthday invites sent, blue and orange balloons bought.  "Hoot" theme birthday it is...


No comments:

Post a Comment