Sunday 2 September 2012

Giggle and Hoot Birthday Cake - Part 2

So now we know the flat 2D cake is a possibility.  And since we had over a month to the party and I'm determined to win the "Auntie of the year", there's really no good reason to stop there.  

Next challenge: a 3D Hoot cake

so off I went with a lot of research, countless hours of obsessing over YouTube and MonkeySee to teach myself what how to make a 3D cake.  Meanwhile I have booked my cake decorator friend for a private lesson.

Here's my first - not so impressive attempt of a partially made hoot cake:

yup.  Granted.  not very impressive at all.  In fact, ha! my sister seem to think Hoot's eyes look more like a bra!  how rude!

But at least I now know what I need to pay extra attention to during my cake lesson.  Shaping of the cake, crumb coating.. and most importantly, how to play with the fondant to bring it all to live.

so 4 batches of cake wasted (given to my security guards) and more practice to come.

Oh, and I have made Price William's chocolate digestive wedding cake thinking it'll make a good bottom for Hoot.. forget it... it's not a cake for shaping and frankly the amount of butter in that cake was disgusting.

5 comments: